5 interesting facts about Australia
Don’t get stuck talking about the weather with your Australian guests, use these interesting facts about Australia as unique conversation topics instead:
- The Great Barrier Reef is the largest living organism on earth.
Visible from space, the reef covers 344,400 square kilometres
- Approximately 20% of poker machines on earth can be found in Australia.
Australians sure do like to gamble. With 200 000 slot machines, the chance of winning while playing 1 line is 1 in 50 000 000.
- Australians invented the word selfie.
While self-portraits are not a new thing, the origin of the Oxford Dictionary’s 2013, word of the year can be traced to 2002 on Australian run ABC Online. This is not hard to believe as Aussie slang often adds “ie” to words. Just look at how they changed the word barbeque to barbie.
- Classical music is played in some parking lots in order to prevent teenagers from loitering at night.
Police have recruited Bach, Beethoven and Chopin to discourage unruly youths from making a noise and disturbing the peace.
- More snow falls on the Australian Alps than Switzerland.
Most of the countries climate is desert however their Snowy Mountains are cold. The snow quality is best in Australia’s winter month of July and is at its deepest in August.